Dominic beats Morgan in Quaich

This match, which I think was the last of the Club finals to be played this season, took place on the morning of Sunday 23rd October. 
In spite of the gloomy weather forecast the contestants, Dominic Nunns and Morgan Case agreed to go ahead with this rescheduled event. A postponement had been needed owing to Dom falling victim to Covid recently. This meant to ensure everything was completed before the presentation evening next Friday, Dom had two finals to fit in over the weekend. Having been unsuccessful in his AC Gold Cup match yesterday against Paul Castell, was Sunday going to reward him?
As previously arranged with the Competitions Organiser Graham, I was to be the on call referee of this final.
We had a slight delay to the start time when Morgan’s train from Hove was cancelled. After being contacted Dom kindly diverted on his way from Burgess Hill to pick up Morgan at Hove station. It was dry and overcast at the start. A heavy downpour half way through the first game caused an interruption in play for a few minutes but we were soon able to continue and the match finished in bright sunshine.
The croquet was to a high standard from both players who produced an entertaining spectacle worthy of a final. It was a shame there weren’t more spectators to witness the precision clearing, hoop running and good tactics on display. 
Game 1 was level at 3-3 then Dom edged ahead to win it 7-4
Game 2 followed a similar pattern this time level at 4-4 before Dom was able get ahead to win 7-4.
The games were closer than the final score line suggest and Morgan can be proud of his efforts. In my opinion Dom’s advantage came from his ability to clear a considerable distance whilst advancing his own ball towards the next hoop on more occasions than Morgan.
As referee I was only called upon once, to clarify the options available after a wrong ball had been played.
Well done to both players I really enjoyed the morning as the referee and sole spectator!

Match report by
Richard Brooks